So i’m not a hipster, since I’ve actually wielded an axe (& chainsaw) and I wear plaid and have a beard.
This actually a very cool sociological/anthropological look at further identifying the hipster subculture.
Embracing irony over earnestness, the key to hipsters is not just what they enjoy, but how they enjoy it. Borrowing from other subcultures, (see: Handlebar mustaches and flannel shirts), hipsters reappropriate these fashion elements as their own without embodying their meaning, thus gaining the cultural capital of those elements at the expense of those who worked to establish it.
For a deeper dive, check out this article: Bourdieu, The “Hipster,” And The Authenticity Of Taste
10 Notes/ Hide
- etalex likes this
- mememolly likes this
- planconstructdo reblogged this from triciawang
- triciawang reblogged this from jeanphony and added:
- broadcastarchive-umd likes this
- seancrowe reblogged this from jeanphony and added:
- michelet likes this
- gigidowns reblogged this from jeanphony and added:
- gigidowns likes this
- jeanphony posted this